Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Raising 25G with a helicopter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Raising 25G with a helicopter
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 12:55:56 -0400
On 10/25/2013 11:42 AM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
  I only watched a little and couldn't see how it was  attached. How were
they going to detach the cable?
They have an electrically operated hook - push the button and the hook
opens up.
Yes, there were a bunch of obvious safety violations. I've used helicopters several times and it's a nifty albeit expensive
way to go. The instances were where you couldn't use a  crane for big yagis.
The interesting part is that while the chopper is hovering, it's in
equilibrium so all you have to do to move the load  is push or pull it -
pretty interesting. Doesn't take much to do  that.

It's a strange feeling that's difficult to describe because it doesn't feel quite like it's suspended from a point. When you push the whole suspension moves, and you have all that inertia, so getting in a hurry can result in that tower swinging like a pendulum.

The biggest thing to look out for is that all of the moving air
creates a BIG static build-up on the antenna so you need to  discharge it before
you grab the antenna.
And the one I rented about 15 years ago was $450 an hour.

Considering the operating costs for a small one used to run 150-200 an hour that's not bad, I don't know what the costs are on the simpler ones like the Robinson and I'm a few years out of date.

Spent a few hours shooting road rallies from them.  Now that was fun! <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs