Re: [TowerTalk] minimum guy radius

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] minimum guy radius
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:47:57 -0400
On 10/31/2013 9:25 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
A guyed tower can be designed for closer guying than that, no problem.
Takes more steel, bigger guys, bigger anchors, and careful engineering.

There's a 1000' TV tower near me with outer anchors at around 350'. The
wires are 3", and the tower is massive.

There's a lot of variables that can't be seen. The only spot available for a self supporting cell tower in town was the corner of a parking lot so they went 30 feet deep with the foundation. "The odds are" if this is a commercial tower, they had to meet engineering standards. Course every once in a while we read about something really expensive, folding up.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Whether the 235' tower you mentioned was designed properly is an open question.

-Steve K8LX