Re: [TowerTalk] Base Anchor Bolts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Base Anchor Bolts
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 05:21:48 -0500
On 11/3/2013 3:57 AM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
The anchors I ordered from UST for my TX472 were Type-F.
IIRC, they were 1-1/8" diameter x 27" L.  Yes, I could've
researched them and saved some money by buying them
from someone else.  However, the cost from UST didn't
break the bank, and they were a phone call away.

"I think" the new design comes from design calculations
that will give a pull out strength that matches the
breaking strength of the concrete with a minimum of material.
OTOH, Be they J-bolt, welded nut and washer, or the new block between nuts,
all are more than sufficient, if the concrete is strong enough.

I have a minor in mathematics, but my math is far too old
(meaning I haven't used it in so long, I don't trust my figures)
to really prove it.  I couldn't do a derivative
or integral if my life depended on it, so like many other things at this age,
I place my faith in others. <:-))

I "remember doing" lots of calcs to come up with minimum materials for maximum
volume or strength.

Based on "rough" calcs (these are my opinions). I come up with the J-bolt being
over kill, but producing an asymmetrical load.

The welded nut and washer being symmetrical but a bit under maximum holding strength. while the new approach produces a symmetrical load, near optimum strength, with a
minimum of material.

The loads are near symmetrical on each bolt with the up wind side being a pull and the
down wind side a push.

As I said, with my rusty math skills, these are my "opinions"

Like other things, math belongs in the "Use it or lose it" category.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC