Re: [TowerTalk] Birds n towers

To: "TT TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Birds n towers
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:46:18 -0600
I never found a good solution to roosting birds except turning the beam frequently to get the turkey buzzards to leave just as soon as they started using the TH-7 boom and driven element. 1 KW CW on 20 M may have also helped. I also had several Great Gray owls using the TH-7 at 50' at night, leaving small animal carcasses and the pellets of owl dung at the tower base. When I recently took the the TH-7 and Rohn 45-G down after twenty-seven years in the air, the corrosive effects of bird dung was evident; stainless steel was corroded and galvanized steel was etched and beginning to rust. Red tailed hawks do keep the other birds away and may have the least negative impact on your aerial equipment as a result.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: jcjacobsen@q.com