Re: [TowerTalk] Ridding Birds from the Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ridding Birds from the Tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:08:00 -0500
On 11/21/2013 2:20 AM, Hector Garcia,XE2K wrote:
What can happen if  the   person using this advice miss several of those
pellets and those pellets find their target
in the coaxial of the tribander,  or 3 elements 40m,  is a risk ? or bad luck

A typical pellet can not only penetrate coax, it can often does have enough energy left out to several hundred feet that it can penetrate antenna elements if hit square on.

I have 2 of the little 177 rifles and they are surprisingly powerful. With a scope they will match my 22 for accuracy out to several hundred feet and are effective on birds and rodents. A BB gun would be safer for the elements, but still risky for coax at short ranges, plus their accuracy is not nearly as good although as a kid I accounted for many sparrows at short ranges with one on the farm.

These are normally infective on flocks of persistent birds and can be dangerous with close neighbors.

73

Roger (K8RI)

J.Hector Garcia  XE2K / AD6D Mexicali B.C DM22fp
/ El Centro P.O.Box 73 El Centro CA 92244-0073 http://xe2k.net Tweeter @XE2K
<snip>