Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 09:01:41 -0800
On 11/29/13 7:53 AM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
Although I may be covered with my homeowners policy, I will not  ever make
a claim for any damage to my antennas.  I have Marsh for any  damage that
may result to them from wind etc.  I have a bunch of antennas  and I sleep
well at night knowing that for a little over a dollar a day they're  all
covered AND I'll never have to submit a claim to my homeowners insurance for
them
which almost certainly result in cancellation.  Besides, in FL, we  have a
2% deductable of home value that kicks in for named storms before we get  a
dime from them.  So my claim for anything under $6000 draws a flag and  not
a dime from the insurance company.  Gee, what a great  deal!

Bear in mind that the folks who run Lexis/Nexis provide a database service (CLUE) to insurers for all claim data. A claim with company A will come to the attention of company B, if both insure the same property.

Note also that "inquiries" to your insurance carrier about whether something is covered, if not very carefully phrased, can wind up as a "claim" in the database, even if it doesn't result in the insurance company paying out anything. A speculative question like "I think I might have broken a water line, is that covered?" is generally logged as a claim, because an actual loss occurred, even if the owner goes and decides to fix it themselves.