Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed vs Inverted L and Vee

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed vs Inverted L and Vee
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:55:07 -0800
On 12/3/2013 9:21 AM, Dennis W0JX wrote:
I cannot imagine a better single element antenna for 160 that fits on my lot
without guying. Your 90 foot tower might benefit by more top loading. I would
get rid of the slant feed as it introduces some horizontal component. This
antenna, in my opinion, is far better than an inverted L or an inverted V.

I can't comment on the loading method, but I strongly agree that the tower is your best bet because it's taller, and will thus have the greater radiation resistance. I'd say your best bang for the buck is to add radials, reducing the ground losses. Quantity is more important than length. Antenna efficiency is limited by the voltage divider between the Radiation resistance and the ground resistance. More radials reduce the ground resistance.

As to the ground rod -- the only useful function it serves is lightning protection. That's important, of course, but it doesn't make the antenna work better. The function of radials is to SHIELD the antenna from lossy earth, and to carry return current for the antenna.

73, Jim K9YC