Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-149: 50 ohm/70 ohm - does it matter?
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:05:29 -0600
Hi Paul and the Reflector,

    Back in the 70's, Prof. Albright from my EE353 RF course @ U.of Illinois
used to tell the genesis of 50 ohm coax story too.
    A variant of yours it excluded the optimum voltage parts.  Doing the
math, the geometric mean of
    max power handling per foot (my class notes had 35 ohms) and minimum
loss per foot (my notes had 75 ohms) was allegedly how this all came about.

    I assume this was based on copper and some pre WW-II poly insulator.

73  Mike K9MK