Re: [TowerTalk] How to test functionality of bandpass filters?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to test functionality of bandpass filters?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 00:27:29 -0800
On 12/21/2013 11:21 PM, W7ZZ wrote:
I am an officer of a local radio club. We have had a number of monoband bandpass filters donated over the years that we would like to use for Field Day, etc. The question is: How do we determine that they work? Any advice will be appreciated.

The best way is to sweep them with a signal generator connected to one port and a voltmeter (or some other calibrated RX) connected to the other port. You can do this with anything from a manual generator to a vector network analyzer or spectrum analyzer with tracking generator. The vector network analyzer is best -- it can measure the amplitude response and the SWR -- but I've gotten good data doing point by point measurements with an HP generator and calibrated voltmeter.

73, Jim K9YC