Re: [TowerTalk] Insulating towers

To: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com, k3lr@k3lr.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulating towers
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 14:46:30 -0600
Dan, Thanks for your input. Any chance I might get a look at your documentation?

Nothing succeeds line success!

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Dan Schaaf
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:32 PM
To: k3lr@k3lr.com ; 'Patrick Greenlee' ; towertalk@contesting.com

Patrick

I second Tim's advice.

I built my own low band vertical using 23 ft of tower and stinger above it.
But it is not the same as HyTower. HyTower also has an insulator at the top
of the tower to let the stinger be electrically connected to the base plate.
Apparently, according to W8WWV, the tower acts somewhat like a cage loading
if I understand correctly.

In my case, I eliminated the top insulator so that the stinger is
electrically and mechanically attached to the top of the tower. It is base
loaded for 160. It has a 60 meter trap at approx. 43 ft up. It is self
resonant on 80 and I have a remotely switched network at the base to make it
a 1/2 wave on 40. It works very well.

What I did for insulation is to buy 4 each HyTower insulators and I had a
special base plate made by a local metal fab shop. I have this whole
arrangement designed to be a tilt over antenna using a boat trailer winch
and a 20 ft "gin" pole that I raise first to support the antenna similar to
a falling derrick arrangement except that my derrick stays stationary with a
back stay to an anchor in the ground.. I can raise and lower the entire
assembly alone. I have engineering drawings which show most of it and photos
that show the rest. I still use Dacron guys at the 24 ft. point since we do
get some summer winds here that really rock the joint. The aluminum stinger
starts out at the tower as triple wall and then double wall and then single
wall as you get to the 60 meter trap. Above that I have a piece of aluminum
tubing with a CB whip above it to minimize the wind loading at the top.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
60 Meters www.60metersonline.net