Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 20:09:06 -0800
On 1/4/14 5:42 PM, Mike Fahmie wrote:
I'm putting up a HDX572.  Digging the hole has been quite a job,
hardpan was encounter a few feet below the surface and it was
alternating jackhammer and backhoe work for two days to get close to
the specified depth.

Now, I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive ground rods into that
stuff!  I have a impact driver with the appropriate driver head but I
need a 'Plan B' if, as I expect, the rods won't go in.  I can imbed
some rods or heavy gauge wire into the concrete (ala Ufer ground) but
have heard that if the tower takes a strike the moisture in the
concrete could flash into steam and fracture the concrete.

Nope.. no flash into steam. Your situation is what the Ufer invented the concrete encased grounding electrode for. 20 ft of bare copper wire of the appropriate size (AWG4) , or bond to the rebar (which has to be 20 ft long, minimum) . From a ease of installation standpoint, I think the copper wire approach is easier.

http://www.nh.gov/jtboard/050909_concreteencasedelectrodes.pdf is a nice summary from New Hampshire