Re: [TowerTalk] Driving Screw Anchors

To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2@pacbell.net>, "Wilson" <infomet@embarqmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Driving Screw Anchors
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 15:51:18 -0600
Be careful, I have flattened all the flutes (?) blade thingies on a 12 inch augur with my tractor PTO. The augur started to try to "thread" itself into the ground eliciting a pull it up out of the ground command to the hydraulics. It pulled it up but flattened the "threads?" Next time I will kick the clutch, disengage the PTO, and then use a huge pipe wrench and cheater to unscrew the augur, if possible, or dig it out manually as a last resort.

My Augur will permit drilling at an angle but you'd have to back off the throttle significantly to avoid excessive RPM. Retarding the throttle too much will take the little diesel below its peak torque and make the engine prone to stall. PTO speed of 540 RPM (one of two most common standards) is at a rather high RPM for screw anchors. IF I took the RPM down to a level just high enough to be practical I'd get about 250 RPM or so, still a bit fast, eh? Hydraulic drive like an augur on a Bobcat would do the deed.

Patrick NJ5G

-----Original Message----- From: Grant Saviers