[TowerTalk] Idea for tower base. Comments please!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Idea for tower base. Comments please!
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 01:42:19 -0500 (EST)
Gentlemen,

I just wonder if, instead of digging big or small holes in the ground and
filling them with concrete, it would be possible to drill down a number of
screw anchors (minimum 4) and make a base of e few (minimum 2) I-beams holding
on to the anchors.Then attach the tower to this I-beam construction.

Reason: The screw anchor I used for my guy wires were rated for a pull-out
force of more than 14,400 pounds when screwed into undisturbed sand (which
should be the worst situation, I believe). Two screw anchors and a 4 foot
I-beam should, what I understand, be able to take a 57,600 foot-pound turning
momentum. Arranged as a square it should be able to support a self-supporting
tower.

Now, question arrives how you maintain this structure well knowing than screw
anchors can corrode, but I believe we can coop with that one way or another.

Place for comments.

With best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS