[TowerTalk] Protection of a preamp

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protection of a preamp
From: Lizeth Norman <normanlizeth@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:14:16 -0500
Hi all!
I have a preamp that I switch in and out with a pair of spdt coaxial
relays. The NC positions pass through and the NO positions hold the preamp.
The relays are +24Vdc and the preamp needs ideally 12Vdc.
Presently, I have the preamps hooked up to +24Vdc and they are frying.
What I'd like to do is when I key the relay, also feed the preamp through
20 diodes to drop the Voltage to something respectable. Possibly using a
100uF cap across the preamp.
Am I asking for trouble? Do dragons live here?
Norm n3ykf