[TowerTalk] 120' QSO King

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 120' QSO King
From: "Jim in Waco WB5OXQ" <wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 00:40:39 -0600
I ordered one.  Now, he says u need at least 50' of coax, more is ok.  He also
say you need some kind of choke so rf does not get in the shack.
Where does the choke go?  On my beam the choke goes at the feedpoint on the
antenna.  on this end fed antenna does the choke go at the antenna feed point
or does it need to be at least 50' down the coax or just before the coax enters
the shack?  Is the 50' part of the coax supposed to radiate?  Next he says he
put a ground lug for those who want to use it.  The feedpoint will be aprox 50'
above the ground on a tower.  So, ground it to the tower leg, or run a separate
insulated wire to the ground and ground it, or connect it to radials on the
ground or elevated.  If elevated they must be high enough to walk under.  That
would put them about 43 feet below the antenna  and they can only run in a 180
degree path  some as little as 25' others as much as 50' or do they all need to
be the same.  I have a 500' spool of 14ga.  and I can use it all if this will
help my signals.  Also the radials will not be under the antenna rather on the
oposite side of the tower since the antenna ru
 ns over the house for the first 60' then over open yard.  Radials have to be
in the side yard away from the house.  So many decisions.  I really want this
to work as well as possable and since I have to pay someone to install if for
me I want to do the job right the first time.
I only need this antenna to work on 160, 80, and 40.  I have a beam at 53' for
20-10.
73, wb5oxq