Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Saltwater Ground Connection (Many thanks to all for

To: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Saltwater Ground Connection (Many thanks to all for the info!)
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX" <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:12:05 -0500
Thanks for your warnings, Jim, Hans, Patrick and Kris. Yes, I know that elevated radials are hot. (I've had a 40M vertical here with four elevated radials.) That's why I anticipate setting the antenna up on the private walkway. The good news is that it's a lightly trafficked beach. I may have to deploy the radials after dark and wind them up each morning. We'll see.

Thanks and 73,

Joe
K2XX

Hans Hammarquist <mailto:hanslg@aol.com>
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:32 PM
Sounds very exiting working off a saltwater beach. I have piece of information you should remember, the ends of the radials are very RF hot. I had a problem with that once.

A neighbor of mine was watching a "very important" soccer game when I tested a new set-up. One of the radials were only a few feet from his TV. Transmitting with only a few watts totally blocked his TV. It went totally black. His wife knocked on my door and pleaded with me to stop transmitting, which I, naturally did.

Hans - N2JFS