Re: [TowerTalk] 20 meter stack problem

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20 meter stack problem
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 22:50:10 -0500
Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 it's the top antenna that fails!  Each of my
antennas has a feedline that goes to ground level where I can check them. It
sounds like you are combining the antennas in pairs on the tower and
checking the pair. I imagine that you have a coax cable from each antenna to
some point on the tower where you can connect the MFJ and test each antenna
individually.  Since you are measuring a short, I assume that you have some
type of match on the antenna.  Even a broken match should not change the
resonant frequency that much, but it's worth physically looking that the
antennas as long as you are up there.  Hopefully it is just a tower
connection.

John KK9A