Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: 20 meter stack problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: 20 meter stack problem
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:52:18 -0500
Bill, If I am reading your post right, you must have a hard wired T
connector up the tower to facilitate 2 x 75 Ohm ¼ wave phasing lines.  And
then you are reading the result of the 2 down at the base of the tower.  It
would seem that the only way to really know what is going on is to at least
climb to the T and look at the individual coax cables to the yagis.  My
guess in that one is fine and the other is bad.  The question is where along
the path from that connector at the T to the feedpoint of the yagi is the
problem.  As you know, sometimes you get lucky on those, sometimes you
don?t.

Its always a trade of having easy and wavelength known access at the ground
level of a tower vs extra runs of coax loss to facilitate.  When the weather
sucks and there is a problem, we all like the first one ? when we are
cracking the new mult pile-up we are glad we didn?t.

On my towers, I have the stack matches at 50 ft and exact wavelength phasing
cables at the box to each antenna.  I have to climb to the box but when I
get there, I know precisely the load particulars at the antenna feed since I
am looking at the repeated value of the load based on the coax length.

Good luck with the fix.

Ed N1UR