Re: [TowerTalk] BAOFENG?

To: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BAOFENG?
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 10:08:51 -0600
Hans, if you don't have tall the info you need then use this link ==>  Link to
Handy Talkie Info for Hans

Scroll down the page and you will likely find everything you need.  The CHIRP
software is not to tough to figure out (you need a programing cable that plugs
into the radio and a USB port on a PC.)

That should get you all the info that is available via official channels.  You
Tube etc. can be a plus depending on the actual presenter.

Be careful when buying accessories as due to the number of models of radios
with minimal differences you might get something that doesn’t work with your
radio.  I have a Baofeng UV-5R and 4 each UV-5RA.  I ordered a high capacity
batt at a good price and it only fits the 5R not the 5RA.  Very difficult to
see why it isn’t interchangeable.The standard battery pack or the cigarette
lighter powered battery eliminator is interchangeable between the 5R and 5RA
just not the hi cap batt.  Go figure!

I paid about $40 each with shipping included.  Why 5 of these things?  When I
showed the first one off to my wife and demoed the NOAA weather radio features,
that it covers the marine band, GMRS, FRS, FM commercial broadcast, and so
forth she told me to get some more so we could have one in her car, my truck,
the tractor, etc. We run a small black Angus ranch and an HT is a great
alternative to cell phones.  We have good coverage all over except in some
metal buildings.  Our ranch, slowly becoming an antenna farm, is 1/2 mile by
1/2 mile. Don’t need a repeater.  On ham freqs I have hit several repeaters
with it when nearer to civilization and occasionally a few from 25 miles away.

There is a learning curve but not so bad compared to plenty of other
commercially available HT’s.

73,

Patrick NJ5G