Re: [TowerTalk] H-beam for elevated guy

To: "K7LXC@aol.com" <k7lxc@aol.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "kr7x@arrl.net" <kr7x@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] H-beam for elevated guy
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:29:55 -0500
Hi Steve
  I have installed a few elevated guy anchor installations in the past.    when
you say 8" flange length I assume your talking about the inner WEB length ?
Also not an engineer  my installation are over kill for sure... one had a 12"
web 4" flange face 12  16 ft long. dug holes 9 to 10 ft deep  the beams were
cut a a 45 deg angle at the top and drilled for 4   1/2" X 16 eye jaw turn
buckles.  the bottom of the  beams were drilled 3/4" holes for 6   rebar
lateral tie in, Used  1 1/2 yard 3000# mix in each hole  with the beam place
not center but just off the front ( towards tower face )   The holes were back
filled ,
My installation is 150 ft of rohn 65  guys three ways and three levels with
about the same but  each elevated posts were two bolted together 12" X 4" X 16'
U channel and the turn buckle bracket is a 8" X 6"  T channel  bolted to the
top of the exposed 6' U channels .
I have a set of PE drawings for 7' elevated  guy posts somewhere in my file
cabinet. was for an installation of 150' rohn 55 in the New Mexico hardpan !

 My personal opinion  I do not like filling the hole to the top with cement...
when there is rain water seeping around the pour is becomes the wine bottle cork
and there is no mother EARTH  resistance just the blocks  weight    just my
.02

Wayne W3EA