Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor

To: Matt <bluewaterpro@yahoo.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying mast above rotor
From: w6rgs@cox.net
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:00:25 -0800
Matt,
You didn't mention the height of your tower or if it is crank-up or guyed. If it's a crank-up, I'd just lower the tower when a storm is expected. If the tower has no other guying, think about where your tower is going to be flexing during that hypothetical severe storm, while the mast is guyed and the base is in concrete. While I don't have an engineering degree, I'm picturing the tower flexing in the middle. Seems like the tower would fail in the middle. I'd rather lose the antenna, instead of an expensive tower. I'm sure there is someone with engineering experience here that can use facts instead of speculation.
Bill W6RGS