Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC ring slipping
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:31:06 -0500
For an antenna that size it may help to add a slave motor.

John KK9A

To:"towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
From:"Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date:Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:25:42 +0000

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I climbed up today and
looked things over.  Did not see any missing teeth
on either the drive gear or the ring.

Turned the antenna back to the proper direction and
reseated the motor.  Hopefully, it will hold calibration
for a while.  With the weight of the antenna (250 lb+)
it was difficult to turn the ring by hand and  see
how well contact was made with the drive gear
throughout the rotation.  When warmer weather
arrives, if the problem persists, I'll lift the boom
off of the ring and then turn the ring by hand
and see if I can find the farthest distance between
the ring and motor gear, and seat them at that point.

The spring on the eyebolt is still ok.

I noticed that the 6 bearings that the ring rests on
are warn about 1/8" on all of my rings, even the
ones with the smaller antennas which don't
have any problems.

Terry N4TZ