Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Cable Question

To: grants2@pacbell.net,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Cable Question
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 00:22:44 +0000
> clean kevlar causes me to believe this is doable with old PS.

IMHO, I would sure think so too, but it wouldn't
hurt to ask the folks who make the "phylli".

> However, how to splay the very fine Kevlar fibers and
> wetting them with epoxy with no air entrapment in the socket feels
> challenging.

IIRC, it wasn't that difficult when I installed my PS years ago.

What I did, was to apply some tape where the PS exits the "point"
of the socket...that's to keep the epoxy from leaking out.  Just to
be clear, the tape goes *inside* the socket.

Next strip off the sheath...carefully.

Next comb out the fibers straight until it looks like round brush.

You'll NEED a wood jig (stand) to hold the sockets upright, spaced
far enough from the bench or floor so the cables can exit
without bending.  For that, a person could use a 1x4 wood
board with the proper holes cut in it.  Then cut a slot
beside each hole to allow the PS to slip out after the exopy
has hardened.  The board can be clamped to a bench at
one end, with most of the board for the sockets and PS hanging
over the side of the bench.  Simple enough!

Pour the epoxy in the sockets a little at a time, letting any
trapped air to escape.  It wouldn't hurt to wiggle the cable
a little where it exits the point of the socket to speed up
the process.  IIRC, the epoxy is thin enough so voids are
not really a problem.

> Any
> experiences with saddle clamps on larger diameter PS would be
> appreciated.

DON'T use saddle clamps or any other clamps.  The old cables
are not designed for that.  When the fibers are bent the stress
on the fibers will not be equal when the cable is bent around
a thimble, etc.

Get the right stuff, do the right thing; then you won't
be sorry later on!

73,
Charlie, N0TT