Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Ameritron RCS-12C

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with Ameritron RCS-12C
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 18:50:29 -0400

Not having an RCS-12 in front of me, if you have voltage on multiple
pins I can only assume one of two things: the jumper is in the wrong
position (e.g. BCD 4 instead of 1 of 8) or there is a failure in the
unit.  Unless the circuit board is clearly screened, I would sooner
suspect an incorrect jumper (configuration) but you can certainly
tell by stepping through the antennas manually and measuring voltage
at each pin of the Relay Connection Jack.  If BCD 3 or BCD 4 is
actually selected you should not see any voltage on pins 5-8 - if
you see voltage on pin 5 - 8 and 1 - 4 at the same time, there is
most certainly a failure of some kind.

Since the RCS-12 is processor based, I'm sure you must remove power
and restart after changing jumpers and would not recommend changing
jumpers with power applied.

Again, I would recommend removing power, setting the output select
jumpers for the desired relay configuration, connecting power and
performing the factory reset procedure documented in the manual.
If, after that, you continue to see anomalous results, there is a
number for factory Technical Assistance in the manual.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV