Re: [TowerTalk] [RFI] Back of desk grounding buss

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [RFI] Back of desk grounding buss
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <K2STN@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:52:20 -0400
To all;

An aluminum grounding plate is not such a bad idea, provided that you deal with it properly.

First, the simplest is the use of an Internal Tooth Star Washer between the lug and the strip. No, not just under the screw head or nut but between the connecting pieces! The ones with the teeth pointing towards the screw's shaft. When tightened firmly, the washer's teeth will dig into the surfaces of the joined pieces of metal to a depth, gouging through the oxide layer to produce a metal-to-metal joint which will exclude the corroding, surrounding air.

IBM Corp. mandates this technique in all of their safety grounding schemes. At least in the labs and on the factory floor.

Next would be the techniques used in dealing with the aluminum wiring found in many seventies vintage homes. Just simply twisting the conductors together and wire nutting them is a proven prescription for catastrophic failure, as in “the house just burned down”.

Reason is that the oxide on the wires acts to insulate them from each other even while being twisted together. The steel threads of the wire nut cuts through the oxide and provides the main current path. The wire nut heats and fails. Google it and see some of the images of burned joints... not pretty.

The fixes are:

First, a special wire crimping system rented from the Burndy Corp., very expensive, requires a special tool and technician training, but works very well.

Next, is the use of a multi-ported sealant filled wiring device which looks like a three-wide European set-screwed terminal strip. Cheaper, takes less training to use and are accepted by the industry.

Last, and the one appropriate to the discussion here is the use of an Alconox like wiring paste. But, it needs to be used differently than just slathering it onto the joint.

You'll need a green Scotchbrite pad which you will impregnate with the Alconox (BTW, I'm only using that name as a generic for which ever one is better suited). Take the now impregnated pad and scour the surfaces to be joined. The scrubbing action displaces the oxide, the Alconox covers the now abraded surface and prevents re-oxidation. The wires can now be twisted together and wire-nutted with good result.

This same technique will work well in making lugged connections to your aluminum grounding strip.

73,

Stan

-----Original Message----- From: Mike Fahmie