Re: [TowerTalk] TIC Potentiomenter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC Potentiomenter
From: Fred Sanborn <cc-6569@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:13:02 -0500
John,
I recently bought a few Vishay 534-11501 from Mouser 594-53411501 as a replacement. However, I am already having problems with what I believe is an intermittent wiper after only 7 months. Part of the problem may be partly due to that I have not been turning the antenna much at all for months at a time. After applying voltage on the motor lines to get the pot wiper moving it started working a bit better with only a bit of intermittent operation. After a few more weeks of inactivity I tried turning it and got the no motion error message on the RT-21 again.

I think using a pot for direction is the worst part of the TIC ring system. Has anyone ever made a mod to the TIC and use a magnetic reed sw for direction. How difficult would that be? I have a Alfa Spid that has a reed sw with a RT-21 controller and it just keeps working.

        73,  Fred  KG9X