Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton 2500 winch single or dual speed?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fulton 2500 winch single or dual speed?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 23:57:07 -0400
On 4/3/2014 12:06 PM, jcjacobsen@q.com wrote:
How do,

Gerald is looking for a new winch for his tower.

Please, be careful that you don't get a winch that has a FREE WHEEL position.

Been there, done that, and had to go to the emergency room to get the hide put back on the back of my hand. It was just a glancing blow that peeled the skin off nearly half the back of my hand from knuckles almost to the wrist bone.
  Nothing worse than the winch getting in that mode and having the handle
whipping around at a rapid pace,

I'd say getting hit by it rates right up there.

  not to mention the tower dropping at the same or greater rate. Most
marine/boat winches are free wheeling.

Mine has a latch, but I was lowering a mast that wasn't terribly heavy and had it unhooked. My hand slipped off the handle, but the handle stopped pointing straight up. I knew better, but it was stationary. Just as I grabbed, it went around once so fast I couldn't see it move! Had it hit square it would have broken a bunch of those small bones. As it is I only have a scar that covers about a third of the back of my left hand.

Those winches can be dangerous and it only takes a moment of inattention to put you in a lot of pain.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73
K9WN Jake