Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler 6-BTV installation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler 6-BTV installation
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:59:46 -0400
On 4/9/2014 10:04 AM, Brian Alsop wrote:
I'm not sure one would ever notice the tree effects on HF. There are lots of other things (e.g., no balun at the feedpoint, feedline routing and objects in the near field, ground terrain variations ) that would probably be larger effects.

I have Satellite, and off the air TV. Several trees grew into the "line-of-sight" between the antenna and UHF station. It's not true that with digital you either receive, or don't receive the signal. The range between signal and no signal is much narrower than it was for VHF analog, but there is a range. We noticed that on occasion the signal would "pixelate" and pause. As time went on this happened more often. I put the UHF antennas at roughly 90 feet on the 45G with a clear shot. Surprisingly, even with the longest antennas I could find, they do well up to 20 or 30 degrees off axis with a range in excess of 100 miles. So at UHF, (including 440) the regular, leafed trees do have a strong attenuation of the signal. They seem to have little, if any effect on 160 through 40. I don't know about 20 through 10.

NOTE. With one antenna pointed between Detroit and Lansing, I could receive both quite well, but had to move the antenna to get the Grand Rapids area. With an antenna pointed to the NW I could receive both Cadillac and Traverse City (bout 70 and over 110 miles)and within 10 degrees of each other.

Any vegetation seems to block the satellite signal. Which is much higher in frequency. The same goes for wireless Internet.

It's surprising how far away an antenna for 75 and 40 can be from others and still show effects even in SWR and resonant point although they were apparently not sensitive to trees.

A 40 meter vertical antenna (AV640)displayed shifts in the resonant frequency when slopers were erected several wavelengths distant. (50 to 100 KHz)

The base of the AV640 is about 25 feet above ground.and 50-75 feet from the trees.

73

Roger (K8RI)

I had an commercial BC TV engineer relate to me a story of the importance of attenuation in "trees" for HDTV (UHF). One station near the NC coast (beaming inland) made an argument that the long leaf pine needles were the right size to selectively attenuate their signal. They managed to get a somewhat higher permitted power. It would have been interesting to actually have a measurement of the effect.......

73 de Brian/K3KO