Re: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Cable Question

To: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Cable Question
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 13:15:36 -0400
The yellowing is normally caused by air contamination at the end of the cable.

You might try cutting a length from the spool (a few feet or so) and then inspecting the dielectric at the place where you cut the coax.

Good luck.

73
Don
N8DE

Quoting Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>:

Hello-
  I thought I would ask just to be sure. I brought home some NOS Belden RG-9A/U coax, still on a 1000' reel. The reel was stored inside in a radio shop in Okla City, and the wooden spool showed no signs of exposure. I really like to use the double shielded cables when I can. However, this cable dielectric has a very distinct yellowed appearance. The copper shields are nice and bright and show no discoloration, and the (gray colored) jacket looks nice.   Is this cable no good? I am thinking of installing connectors on it and measuring the loss, as I have no instruments other than an MFJ-259B ant analyzer. Any comments on this subject appreciated, as I have saw a yellowing in the dielectric of other cables.
        Thanks, Byron WA5THJ