[TowerTalk] Directivity and F/B Ratio was Re: FW: Force 12

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Directivity and F/B Ratio was Re: FW: Force 12
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:37:38 -0700
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 06:11:45 -0400
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Delta 240 2 Elem 40M Yagi

Just one small addendum. If you set the electrical length of the
reflector at, say, 7200 KHz, you may well find that the antenna reverses
direction down at the low end of the band, presumably because the
reflector is so much too short that it becomes a director at that
frequency.  I found this experimentally by using a remote signal source
(an MFJ259B) a few hundred feet away to determine the point of maximum
F/B, and then moving it to 7050 where it would not reverse until well
below the band.  N6BT points out in Array of Light that the resonant
frequency of the driven element is only important for matching and
losses, not for gain or F/B.

73, Pete N4ZR

##  Put a relay box on each ele. Then you can resonate the eles wherever you
want to.
I tossed the F12 junk box with the 12 ga thnn wire and dpst relay..and replaced
it
with  3 vac relays and made each coil from .75 inch wide silver plated cu strap.
Each coil is  aprx .5 uh.  Coil #1 is tapped at the .33 point..and also
between the
.33 point and the far end of the coil.    Coil #2 has only 1 relay across the
entire coil.
Then I end up with a total of 7 x segments.   7000,  7050, 7100, 7150, 7200,
7250, 7300

## Problem solved.   Then you can have your cake..and eat it too.   I got the
idea from
Steve Babcock,  VE6WZ...u can see it on his website.

Jim  VE7RF