Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Force 12 Delta 240 2 Elem 40M Yagi

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Force 12 Delta 240 2 Elem 40M Yagi
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:38:29 -0700
"Shorty forty" is a term subject to much interpretation. The biggest challenge with the W6NL Moxon is more likely getting it on the tower with the Moxon tips. Even more so with the smallest 2L 40m, a Moxon design from OptiBeam, since the ends of the elements are tied together.

Here are some specs from various 2L 40m designs

antenna        turning R ft    weight #    2:1 bw KHz

XM240            24                55                250
F12 240N        30.4            85                290
M2 40M2L       27                68              150
HG DIS72         25                68                200
W6NL Mox 30.5 80 350 (120MPH scratch build version)
OB2-40Mox        20               77               350
OB2-40             26                77                170?
full size 2L 40 200 150? (3" boom, 76' guyed reflector, 100mph design)

I didn't include wind survival speeds, but there is a large variation - 80mph to 120mph. YMMV. The full size 2L data is 2/3 of a 3L full size 40m OWA I own and plan to convert to a "shorty 80m" 2 element tuned with Tornado inductors.

I apologize in advance if I've misquoted/misinterpreted any manufacturer's specs and for what the reflector does to formatting.

Grant KZ1W