Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:50:36 -0400
On 4/25/2014 7:47 PM, Edwin Karl wrote:
In the way back, I repaired the grounds to an AM station by silver soldering the copper together. Had to use Oxy-Acetlyne to get it hot enough. AFter I burned throuch several splices I got the hang of it. This was 45 years ago, I'm sure the connections are still good unless the acid in the soil
has eaten everything.

Silver-soldering copper to copper is easy, once yoy get the temps down right. Like any soldering, you bring the base metal temp up till the solder flows. Coat the entire joint with flux. It does take a bit of learning to get he junction up to temp so the entire junction is wetted. The difficult part is coppers ability to rapidly transfer heat away from the work area.

The difference between melting silver solder and copper is a lot less than melting solder.

I used to average between 8 and 10 copper pancake coils a day (1/8th inch Cu tubing). All fittings were silver soldered.

Long since lost track of how many large coils we made.

73

Roger (K8RI)

 ed K0KL