Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 19:00:30 -0700

I would agree with everything in that post except for the part about drilling holes. I own an AN Wireless heavy duty 70 foot tower, and every factory brace on it is held fastened to the legs with 5/16 inch bolts/holes. In addition, when I purchased the tower I specifically asked Dan (who was then the owner of AN Wireless) what the constraints might be for drilling holes in the tower legs, and his answer was that holes of the size normally used to receive bolts would not materially weaken the legs at all. It's pretty much the same physics that allow us to drill moderately sized holes in floor joints and roof trusses without decreasing their load rating.

Although I have solid copper ground wires cadwelded to the base section buried in the concrete foundation, I was reluctant to risk the annealing action that MIGHT occur on the tower legs above the foundation, so the additional ground wires that I fastened to those legs (I wanted to be able to demonstrate after the fact ... if needed ... that the tower was grounded) were done mechanically. I used half of a galvanized pipe ground clamp and bolted it to the tower leg, attached the ground wire to the wire lug, and then spray painted the entire connection with galvanizing spray. No hassles, no worries.

73,
Dave   AB7E