[TowerTalk] KT36 Balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT36 Balun
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:52:29 -0700
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 19:43:57 -0700
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

Which balun do you recommend for the M2 KT36?  A voltage balun or a current
balun? I run 1500 watts during RTTY contests.

I?m planning on winding my own. I have Jerry Sevick?s book on building them.

Thanks!
73
Jim W7RY

##  You need a 1:4 balun..since the ant is 200 ohms.   Use either a balun
designs 1:4 balun..like a 5 kw unit,
or get one from array solutions.   Array solutions will make a 1:4  balun in
any power rating you want.

##  Then  follow it up with a 1:1  choke balun, like a bead balun  made from
type 43  or type 33 large diam beads
slid over  RG-213  or  RG-393 coax.   Or use a k9yc design, optimized for
20-10m.   Or get a 1:1  choke balun
from  baluns designs.

##  The  1st balun does the  1:4    transformation..right at the feedpoint.
The 2nd balun, 1:1  choke type...is right in front
of it.   The 2nd balun kills any residual RF.   Between the two of em, you end
up with your 1: 4 transformation, plus
a sky high choking Z.

##  IE;  50 ohm coax up the tower, then  1:1  choke balun, then  1:4 balun.
Most 1:4 baluns will do the transformation
job ok,  but  will not have the high choke Z  you are after.

Jim  VE7RF