[TowerTalk] Control Cable for Rotators

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Control Cable for Rotators
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:57:31 -0400
When I installed my tower and rotators 15 years ago, copper was relatively cheap. My total run is approximately 340 feet to the top of the tower, and so I just ran 4 x 3-wire UFB house wire out and up the tower.

I'm thinking I probably should replace the cable, and the price of that much UFB is breathtaking. Yaesu says 18 AWG minimum for 40M (130 ft) or more. But for the length I'm using I'd think that 16 AWG for the 2 motor leads would be minimal, while something much lighter, such as all-weather network cable with doubled conductors might do for the potentiometer.

Advice much appreciated.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at