Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 installation
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 07:26:58 -0700
The books that K1ZO mention are a great start.  Looking at the Rohn specs for
standard off the shelf configurations will give you an idea of what can be
done.  If your installation is atypical you might still be able to design
something that will work in your case such as going to 4 guys or using elevated
guys.  Guys have to go all around the tower as they pull against each other to
hold the tower in place.  If you only use one or two then you run into the
problem where it becomes ineffective as you push on a rope.

If you have ever climbed an unguyed Rohn 20/25 tower above 30 feet you will
notice the difference as it does sway.

Beyond that you may have to consider a self-supporting or crankup tower.

I was wondering why you were scrubbing and painting the sections if they were
new?  New tower should have been hot dipped and ready to go up.  If you have to
coat it I highly recommend the ZRC Cold galvanizing compound for older towers.
My Rohn 45 was a painted broadcast tower in a previous life.  I got it in
chalky white and red/orange sections.  It was power washed then painted with
the ZRC right over the existing paint.  It has been that nice battleship
gray/silver and rust free at two QTHs for the last 20 years.  It's tough stuff.

Good luck with figuring out your installation.  You won't regret doing it right
the first time.  Especially if that means not having your new yagi sitting in
the living room with you, or worse, sitting in your neighbors living room.

Running high power in close proximity to your shack (1KW 30 feet above it) you
will discover interesting phenomena such as computers resetting and meters
moving on their own from the high RF fields.  Then we get into the RF exposure
requirements for controlled areas (your property) and uncontrolled areas (your
neighbors property).  See OET65

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet65/oet65b.pdf

Good luck with figuring out your installation.  You won't regret doing it right
the first time.  Especially if that means not having your new yagi sitting in
the living room with you, or worse, sitting in your neighbors living room.

Earl
N8SS