Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:18:35 -0500
I have a 50 ft Rohn 25 with a tilt base. I will be mounting it atop a plate of steel the same size but thicker than the mfg's plate using insulators. I will basically duplicate the insulated base arrangement on my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical antenna. You can buy the insulators from Hy-Gain or make your own if you are a handy DIY kinda guy. The Hy-Gain Hy-Tower is on an insulated tilt base and is intended to be free standing. I guyed mine at the 24 ft level with Phillystran as I put it on the roof of a barn and did not set the base in the cubic yard of concrete called for in the instructions.

If you are concerned that your tower is heavier than the Hy-Tower or has a greater wind load and will not be guyed then you could always build the base larger in dimension putting the insulators farther apart so as to gain mechanical advantage. YOu could double up on the number of insulators or make some oversized ones with significantly larger diameter. There are other insulated bases you could copy but the Hy-Gain Hy-Tower base has been in production and use for several decades and works. There has been a change/improvement that replaced a "T" shaped piece of steel with a stainless steel triangle with folded edges for stiffness.

I recommend comparing the windage of your tower to whatever tower's insulated base you want to emulate. Be guided by the insulated bases in production with a good track record and you won't have to accept the risk of an unproven design.

Hopefully others will bring their insulated base experience for additional guidance.

73,

Patrick NJ5G