Re: [TowerTalk] Mechanic drawing for telescopic tower ( pulley / wires p

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mechanic drawing for telescopic tower ( pulley / wires path ) ?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 10:18:16 -0500
Rag, They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Not in this case. I can't get a good picture from the ground.

OK, the main thing is that the cable goes from the winch, outboard of all tower components and then around the pulley and connects to the inner tower section. The cable from the winch to the pulley is outside of the tower up to the pulley. The pulley transitions the cable from outside the outer tower section to inside the outer section (outside the inner section.) The cable end opposite the winch terminates near the bottom of the inner (movable) tower section. The trick is to lead the cable fair (translation, not have any place where the cable drags across any part of the tower.)

The cable will be moving with respect to the outer tower section when the inner tower section is raised or lowered but is not moving with respect to the inner (raise/lower section.) This relates to adjusting the position of the pulley as it is better to have the cable contact the movable section somewhere along its run than to contact the outer section where is would wear out the paint or galvanize or just wear out the cable needlessly while grinding a path through an aluminum tower component..

You probably deduce from the above that the plane of the pulley is not parallel to the side of the tower. It is "twisted" (cocked?) in order to get the cable from outside the fixed section to inside it. Some advice: if in doubt get a better, stronger, and larger diameter pulley. Other factors being equal a larger diameter pulley translates to longer life for the pulley and the cable.

Executive summary: Cable goes from winch to the pulley on the outside of the fixed tower section and then over the pulley and down between the tower sections to near the bottom of the inner/movable section where it is terminated.

73,

Patrick NJ5G