[TowerTalk] Wildfires

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wildfires
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 23:54:20 -0700
Here in the Oracle AZ area, we're infamously known as being the most susceptible wildfire area in N.A. The terrain, altitude and foliage is almost identical to that of the area where the Darnell Hill fire occurred (near Prescott AZ), where they lost 19 fire fighters last year. Only we are rated more risky !

We are at a nominal elevation of 4500 feet (my QTH is at 5K') and the vegetation is manzineta, small scrub oak,(< 16' tall) and bear grass. I live on a N facing ridge and have chimney type terrain below me. I've cleared all plants and other fuel for at least 50' around my all cement block house with a cement tile roof. My "Antenna Support S
tructures", towers and 5M dish, are all freestanding or have steel pipe braces.

Our community has the most active Firewise and CERT (of which I'm a member) organizations of any in the state. We have had grants to allow Hot Shot crews from DOC, and other communities, to clear ladder fuels on private property, on a cost sharing basis, over the last several years. Our vulnerability has been reduced considerably. My biggest concern is the FS land adjacent to mine, which they refuse to clean up. Our communities's main problem now, is with absentee landowners, who won't clean up their property, some on large acreage. We do have purposed state legislation, to penalize them, for this lack of responsibility.

Our local FD has had their "Red Flag" flying all this last week !

Chuck,  W7CS