[TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 22:40:51 -0700
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:12:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing

I have a tb-3 that has been in the air for almost 30 years now, has outlived
several rotors, a bunch of antennas, and a set of guy wires... and I haven't
looked at it since I put it up there... it just keeps on turning.  I have
several others on different towers that have been up there 15 to 20 years that
have never been touched either.  just how old are these tb-3's that are
requiring all this work???  have they been used in a salt spray environment?

## I had  a pair of  NEW Rohn  TB-4 bearings on my trylon tower 10 yrs ago.
All  3  set scews, the .375 inch ones..every 120 degs,  all rusted out asap,
including the lock down nuts !   They seized up, and I had to drill em out.
They also made this grinding noise after only a few months.  I was not
impressed.   I use the peer bearings on my UST-  HDX-689, two of em.  zero
problems.   They come with the eccentric locking collar + grease nipples.

##  the rohn  TB-3-4 are just ball bearings  riding in an aluminum race.   No
way to lube em either.   They are NO bargain for the $$  either.  Use a  real
thrust bearing....if you want it to last.

Jim  VE7RF