Re: [TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10 throu 20 beam traps or no traps
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 07:54:44 -0600
If the price of the 4 ele SteppIR is too high. Think about the 3 ele. You lose about a DB of gain on 10-20. You will lose a bit on 6m if that is important. The Bi directional mode and nearly instant 180 is very handy. The 30=40 option is pretty nice. I use a 2 ele Cushcraft above my SteppIR for 40 and I use the 30/40 option for 30m only. I had plans to make the SteppIR 2 ele on 30/40 but I doubt I will get around to that project anytime soon.

You cannot use the SteppIR on multiple bands at the same time and band changes do take time. If you are a serious contester and want to use the same antenna for SO2R or multiple transmitter contests you might want to consider other antennas.

If 2 elements will work for you then I would suggest looking at the hex beams.

Mike W0MU