Re: [TowerTalk] Comments by K9YC

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comments by K9YC
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 22:36:43 -0400

On 2014-06-22 10:12 PM, Dan Hearn wrote:
The coax saw many places on the 3 bands where the feed point
impedance was not 52 ohms. That will result in spill over of current
from the inside of the shield to the outside at the attachment point
and ultimately radiation which screws up the beam pattern and sends
rf into your shack.

The fact that the feedline is not working into a matched load does *not*
create common mode current.  Common mode on a feedline is created *only*
when the impedance to ground is different on each leg of the antenna.
If the impedance is the same - even if it does not match the feedline
impedance - the current into each leg of the antenna is the same, the
antenna is balanced and there can be no common mode current.

Mosley used to connect one side of the driven element to the boom with
a strap.  Grounding one half of the driven element and connecting the
shield of the coax to the junction of the half-element and strap is
guaranteed to seriously unbalance the antenna, causing beam skew, feed-
line radiation, and common mode current.  In addition, if the boom plus
end elements happened to be a multiple of a half wave, the 1/4 wave
each side of the feed point along the boom could easily cause all kinds
of strange behavior.

It is unbalance *not SWR* that causes common mode current to flow in
a feedline.  In a properly balanced system, the currents on the center
conductor and inside the coax are equal and opposite regardless of
their level or their phase relationship to the voltage and no current
appears on the *outside* of the shield.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV