[TowerTalk] FW: Cutting 2" Heavy Wall Cr-Mo Mast Up on Tower - RESPONSE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Cutting 2" Heavy Wall Cr-Mo Mast Up on Tower - RESPONSE COMPLETE
From: "Victor Walz" <n2pp@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:07:21 -0400
I want to thank everyone who provided the great responses to my question.  I
am reviewing each response seriously and even considering not cutting the
mast.

 In summary, I received great responses that:

1.       Described suggested tools and cutting blades.  These responses
addressed the essence of my original posting and I received great input from
some very experienced amateurs.

2.       Important safety concerns involved in cutting the mast in place on
the 100 ft tower.  I am grateful for all this input.  This is the third time
that I have removed and installed the antenna stack on this long mast. I use
a chain fall and multiple tower plates with 1 ton eyebolts.   Success and
safety involves a well engineered installation, good planning, redundant
methods for supporting the mast, and the correct climber safety equipment.

3.       The methodology of restraining the cutoff mast.  See my previous
posting.  My intention was to cut the mast at a point inside the tower and
then lift the 100 lb. cutoff piece from above through the top bearing using
an HD gin pole.  BTW, the entire 22 ft mast was originally installed from
above through the top plate bearing using a gin pole.

4.       Questioned my decision to shorten the mast.  I didn't expect these
not offered a "real good reason" to cut the mast.  Maintaining the 22 ft
mast length by lowering the elevation of the rotor plate may be a good
choice.

My reason for shortening the mast was to simplify the current installation.
I removed the antennas this summer to repair the upper 20 meter 4 el yagi
which developed a problem 2 years ago.  This required first removing  the 40
meter yagi and an 80 meter rotatable dipole.  I am in my mid-sixties and do
all my tower work essentially by myself (the exception being tramming up the
larger yagis).  I started thinking out 5-10 years and concluded downsizing
may be prudent and  in order. The downside of shortening the mast is not
having a high 20 meter yagi @ 110 ft..

Thanks again.

Vic  N2PP