Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Boots

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Boots
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 18:04:05 -0700
On 8/7/2014 5:46 PM, Donald Chester wrote:
Most of the boot stores that claim to carry work boots seem primarily concerned with
fashion statements, like fancy cowboy boots and other footwear, crap that would be
useless for serious "work".

I went through a similar exercise nearly two decades ago. We live in a world where much of what we can buy is an imitation of the real thing. As recently as 25 years ago, I could buy quality shoes in narrow widths to match my narrow feet, and even dress shoes with a steel shank were easy to find. Two major changes -- manufacturing moving off shore, even outsourced to unrelated companies, and corporate acquisitions. For many years, my everyday shoes were hiking boots. I found boots I liked, wore them every day, and by the time I needed to replace them, the mfr either no longer existed, had been acquired, or had gone into the imitation of a boot business.

The last time few times I bought boots from Zappos, carefully studying the online data, ordering 3 different pairs at a time, sending those back and trying again. Last time around, it took 9 pairs to find something that was no better than adequate. And this was after visiting at least a half dozen stores that SPECIALIZED in boots. If I had found what I wanted, I would have bought from them.

In my retirement, I've been wearing New Balance, which still comes in widths. But no steel shank. :)

73, Jim K9YC