Re: [TowerTalk] LED fix for your rotator

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LED fix for your rotator
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 09:46:26 -0700
I use incandescents with a CURRENT regulator. That makes for no inrush current
(5X running current) that kills the filament prematurely. A cheap and easy to
implement LM317L can be configured using ONE resistor to set the current. Every
5% less than the lamp's normal current results in a 50% increase in lamp life.
5% less current won't be noticed in lamp brightness. All the info is in the
LM317 datasheet. The only caveat is, the supply voltage needs to be at least
1.25V greater than the normal lamp voltage. Cost is about a buck each for the
LM317LZ (rated 100mA).

I treated my olde Kenwood TS120S and TS130S rigs ten years ago, and have yet to
experience another burned out lamp (the '130 is used mobile).  The best thing
is, there's no ugly spotlight effect that is typical of LEDs (especially when
you don't use wide dispersion LEDs, or remove the LED's lens).

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC