Re: [TowerTalk] Contents of TowerTalk Digest, Vol 140, Issue 47, Foundat

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Contents of TowerTalk Digest, Vol 140, Issue 47, Foundation Pad Removal
From: Brian Amos <bamos1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:32:12 -0600
If it's a guyed tower then go for it!

If it's a self supporting tower here is my answer:

Yes you can ... kind of, depending on how you have the old bolts in
place. If they are just cast into the concrete and there is no hook on
the bolt around the rebar then you can just cut off the bolt and put a
new one where it should go.
If the old bolts are hooked you may want to get a bolt long enough to
go a couple of inches below the top of the rebar cage so that the
rebar will still take the load.  That hook is mostly a safety feature
but it does put a little load on the cage when the bolt is in tension.
If you have shop drawings of the steel placement that helps as well,
you can be off center an inch or two with the base and not have any
issues, but its not fun to hit steel when you are drilling the holes
for the new bolts. If the steel isn't too deep (2" or so) I have had
some luck using a magnetic stud finder to find the rebar placement.

Good luck,

Brian
KF7OVD