[TowerTalk] Boom End Caps??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boom End Caps??
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:24:43 -0700
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 07:40:34 -0500
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Boom End Caps??

In my part of the world mud daubers would add pounds of red clay if
wasps didn't build a nest first.  Tower work is dangerous enough without
adding wasps upset by your presence/activities.

YMMV but what is the downside to having caps?

73,

Patrick NJ5G

##  I had boom end caps on my old wilson 15m yagi.   Trble is.... after a few
years
when I went to take it down, the weight was massive.   The boom was FULL of
water !!

##  IF u do use end caps. or similar, make sure water can drain out at the
lower points of the
end caps...like at the 6 oclock position.    Some have stuffed a crushed coke
cam in there too, or steel wool etc.

## A few small holes  drilled in the end caps would work, as described above.
I don’t use end caps on any eles either...
same deal.... if water gets in...it wont get out.   It will just freeze and
thaw and freeze and thaw.   Water weighs  10 lbs
per imp gallon....  4.54 litres.

Later........... Jim   VE7RF