[TowerTalk] FW: Concentric Tubing and Piping

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Concentric Tubing and Piping
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:01:59 -0500
Hi Lee,

If your measurements are exact, then you would have what is called a "zero
clearance" fit.   Not impossible, but zero clearance is at best challenging
to assemble.   Aluminum telescoping tubing (for ham antennas) generally have
about 0.010" clearance between sections.  Suggest to measure the two
sections more exactly with a caliper or micrometers - something that has
accuracy in the order of 1 mil, or 0.001".   Tolerance variations in either
component could mean that you have exactly what you are looking for - or
even that you have an interference fit, in which case you will have
problems.  Several options - (1) slit & expand the 2.5 pipe, (2) use thermal
expansion (heat the outer pipe and cool the inner pipe before assembly), (3)
create an "adapter" insert by having a shorter length of inner pipe turned
down to fit properly on a lathe, then use a 2" OD extension... I'm sure
there are other options that someone might suggest too

Generally it is a good idea to use Penatrox or similar for assembly, but
surely use a lubricant of some type so help avoid galling.

Hope this information helps you in some way & good luck on your project!

Matt
KM5VI