[TowerTalk] C31XR and Prosistel ring rotator

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C31XR and Prosistel ring rotator
From: Tom_N2SR via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:02:14 -0700
Not sure if I am the first one to have this combination, but I figured I would
ask the group for help.

I have a Force 12 C31XR mounted on a Prosistel ring rotator at 80 feet.  Before
we got the antenna up,

we decided to remove the elements (1st director on 10, and 1st director on 15)
where the antenna would
normally be attached to a mast.

The Prosistel ring has a1/4" plate that attaches to the ring itself.  There is
no cradle like the tic-general rings.

The Force 12 elements are insulated and are mounted below the boom.  I have not
done the actual measuring,

but it appears that the outer diameter of the ring is larger than the space
between the two elements.  By how

much, I do not know, but it might only be an inch or so.  Best case is that I
am incorrect about the

measurements.  Not a good case is that the elements will go on, but they one
might be touching the ring.

I could probably add insulators to one side of the element and keep the element
from touching the ring.

Worst case is that the elements will not fit.

If that is the case, I have three options.

I could make blocks and raise the antenna boom off the plate enough to have the
elements clear the ring.
Tough to do by myself.

I could move one or both of the elements slightly. That would be moving the 1st
director on 10 a bit closer

to the 10M DE and moving the 1st director on 15 slightly away from the 15M DE.

I could move one or both of the elements to the top of the boom.  If I did
that, would that cause any problems

with respect to gain, F/B, matching, etc?

The second and third option would involve drilling out the rivets, which while
not the best thing to try at 80 feet,

isn't impossible.

IF I have to do one of the three, which would you do?

I bought the C31XR's because I knew they had enough space to rotate around Rohn
45.  I never thought to

think about the actual outside diameter of the ring and how close the elements
might be.

Thanks for the input.

Tom, N2SR