Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B

To: Doug Turnbull <turnbull@net1.ie>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:11:24 -0400
Let's think about the MFJ-259B for a minute. I spent an hour
troubleshooting one that belongs to a local ham. It took a half hour to
find a schematic and open the case. I found pretty much everything in the
front end trashed.

This is a $260 analyzer. I started a parts list on Mouser and quickly got
to $100. These are surface mount, closely fit parts, I could see myself
spending another 4 hours in the parts replacement game.

At this point, it isn't worth fixing.  I took it back (disassembled) in a
box and suggested to the ham that someone might have transmitted into it.
Yep, that's what happened.

Can you imagine this happening at MFJ? I'll bet it happens all the time,
and I bet they don't swap SM parts.  Who pays MFJ for the ones that people
don't see the economy to repair?

There's a one year warranty on MFJ gear. $260 for one year of use is a bit
much, but I have one that hasn't give a lick of problem in 5 years. So it
evens out.

If there's a failure after the warranty, it's likely a throwaway. Not worth
losing sleep over, IMO. I love MFJ, I have an AL-1500 and an 998 tuner.
They've not been perfect, but nearly so. I can never see myself shipping
the amp anywhere... but there are few surface mount parts and it cost a bit
more than $260...

If MFJ weren't around, there would be many fewer of us in the hobby. Martin
is a great guy, turned ham radio into a good living for himself and others
and I have a lot of respect for him and his companies.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Doug Turnbull <turnbull@net1.ie> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>     The epitaph for MFJ is a bit unfair.   They have kept many products
> available which would otherwise have just disappeared.   MFJ has also
> brought out a number of useful products I their own right.    I do not own
> any of their amplifiers but many hams do use them and are happy.    I am
> thinking in particular of a local friend who has one of the lower power
> amps
> which has been a work horse for many years with never a problem.
>
>     I recently purchased an MFJ 233 analyzer and find this a wee wonder
> which I very much like.   It should also be noted that MFJ sells parts and
> thus facilitates home brew.   Long may this company in Mississippi continue
> to sere the amateur world - I think its founder has made tremendous
> contributions to the hobby and also to the state of Mississippi - he is a
> fine American who came up a hard enough road.
>
>                               73 Doug EI2CN
>
> PS None of this is not to say that MFJ could not improve its service.

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.